Make Me a Servant
Make me a servant, humble and meek.
Lord let me lift up those who are weak.
And may the prayer of my heart always be,
Make me a servant, today.
I have sung this hymn for years, many times not thinking about the words. Eventually, I did read through and think about what this hymn is saying. Realizing it was a prayer, I determined to sing it as so. God calls us to be servants. Christ demonstrated to us what a servant life looks like. I love to serve. Serving has brought me joy and a feeling of fulfillment repeatedly. However, there are times when I am selfish and don’t feel like serving others. It is then that God brings this hymn to my mind and, after confessing my bad attitude to Him, I sing “Make Me a Servant” as a prayer. He has never failed to do just what I ask in this prayer, and change my heart and attitude about the task at hand.
Make me a servant, humble and meek.
Lord let me lift up those who are weak.
And may the prayer of my heart always be,
Make me a servant, today.
I have sung this hymn for years, many times not thinking about the words. Eventually, I did read through and think about what this hymn is saying. Realizing it was a prayer, I determined to sing it as so. God calls us to be servants. Christ demonstrated to us what a servant life looks like. I love to serve. Serving has brought me joy and a feeling of fulfillment repeatedly. However, there are times when I am selfish and don’t feel like serving others. It is then that God brings this hymn to my mind and, after confessing my bad attitude to Him, I sing “Make Me a Servant” as a prayer. He has never failed to do just what I ask in this prayer, and change my heart and attitude about the task at hand.
2 comments:
That hymn is such a blessing. Thanks for reminding me of it!
How precious. Yes how I needed that change of heart today :( I was snagged on a call one minute before leaving. It took very long and everything seemed to go wrong. How I struggled to accept this as God's will. It helped a little when I realized this customer was a Christian and I was serving him to help him.
Post a Comment