My pastor’s Mother’s Day sermons are some of my favorite sermons. The whole sermon is focused on godly motherhood and encouraging and charging the mothers in our church. Even though I am not a mother, I always enjoy these sermons and apply the pastor’s points to my own life. Not only do I view his outlines as a model of the kind of mother I want to become some day, but I am often able to apply them to my life right now by changing the wording just a little. On Mother’s Day 2008, my pastor gave another of his wonderful sermons and I found that it could easily be applied to the life of a godly woman. Allow me to share with you what I learned from this sermon and how I have applied it to my life.
Encouragement for Women
May 11, 2008
1. Be honored by your calling.
God has called you to be a woman and to follow Him.
2. Be stabilized by your identity/joy in Christ.
Don’t get your joy from your performance or the performance of others.
“In God’s presence is the fullness of joy.”
“Rejoice in the Lord, again I say rejoice.”
Remember who you are in Christ: a child of God, chosen, righteous, a temple, a new creation, etc.
3. Be empowered by your God.
You can’t do it on your own.
God is the source of your power.
4. Be aware of your stumbling blocks.
Common stumbling blocks:
* You (self) - self is the worst enemy of every Christian.
* Perfectionism - Neither you nor anyone else can ever reach perfection.
* Over-busyness - you have to leave time to be in God’s word.
* Fear of Man - we are to fear God alone.
* Discouragement - sometimes God shines brightest through our failures.
5. Be biblical in your teaching.
Your teaching and your life needs to be about the hearts of others.
Conclusion: Godly womanhood is faithfully soaking in the word of God.
Adapted from the sermon Encouragement for Mothers by Pastor Steve Balvanz, May 11, 2008.
Encouraging others, building and pulling them up and along toward the things of God, day after day, as long as it is still called "today", with God's promise of Strength for Today and Bright Hope for Tomorrow.
Welcome!
Welcome to Strength for Today, Bright Hope for Tomorrow! My goal, and the purpose of this blog, is to encourage young women in their daily life and their walk with God. The wonderful hymn Great Is Thy Faithfulness, which contains the line “Strength for today, bright hope for tomorrow”, has become a favorite of mine as God has given me strength each day to follow Him, and the bright hope for both my earthly future and eternity in Heaven. As Christ brings me strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, I hope you find it as well. Great is HIS faithfulness!
2 comments:
Good encouragement!
Thanks for the sweet reminders, Britt! What a treasure. So neat you still remember that sermon.
Post a Comment